Saturday, May 24, 2008

A Scary Night....

Yesterday, (Friday) Stacy got a call at 3:00 from Tegan's daycare that Tegan was running a 102 temperature. So Stacy went picked him up and made him a sick bed on the couch. I got home at 4:00 and Tegan was still laying on the couch. We watched cartoons and kept checking his temp. It was consistently between 101 and 102. He fell in and out of sleep until 6:45. At 6:45 we decide to go get his pj's on and get him ready for bed. Stacy read him three books while I got the Tylenol and sat his humidifier up. I kissed Tegan and started to head downstairs to clean up from dinner. I barely made it down the stairs and I heard Stacy yelling, "Mama, Mama". I ran upstairs and Tegan was in Stacy's arm having a seizure. Surprisingly, Stacy or I did not panic and I just ran and got the phone and called 911. They were giving me directions of what we needed to do while we waited for the ambulance. I just remember looking down at Tegan and seeing that he was foaming from the mouth, seizing and his eyes were rolled in the back of his head. Pretty scary. It seemed like it took 20 minutes for the paramedics to arrive but actually they were here in about 3 minutes. Tegan seized for about 2 minutes. After he was done he would not open his eyes and was just moaning. Tegan and I were transported to the ER and they gave him oxygen and an IV on the way. The whole way to the ER he moaned with his eyes closed. Even after we got to the hospital it took almost 2 hours before he would make eye contact or respond to our voice. (Which they said was very normal.) When he would open his eyes he would just stare at the ceiling.

After 2 IV;'s, blood work, urine tests and x-rays it was determined that Tegan had a Febrile Seizure. Additional note: we waited 2 hours for Tegan to go potty in a little bag ...in attempt to bypass the alternative way to get his urine. They gave him 250 CC's of fluids through his IV, Stacy was putting his hands in water and then finally he went potty in the bag and all over mommy! I guess 4% of kids can get Febrile seizures at any time. They are caused by someone's temp. getting too high too quickly. Even though we did not know it Tegan's temp jumped from 101 to 103 in less than 5 minutes. We had checked his temp. 5 minutes before the seizure happened. Apparently there is no way of preventing these seizures or knowing if he will ever have one again. They said he has the same chance of having a 2nd one as any one else has of having a 1st seizure! So basically we just have to treat his temps. like we always have and just hope it doesn't happen.



Tegan was very happy to leave the hospital. He was clapping his hands saying YEAH! and telling everyone bye bye. They still do not have any idea if he has a cold or anything. All of the tests showed he is healthy and doesn't even have a cold. They also said he could be teething and got a fever from that...who knows.




3 comments:

NIKKI said...

That had to be so scary! I am so glad he is ok! I can't imagine waiting for the paremedics to get there! Thumbs up to you for not panicking..I know I would have been a mess.
Give him hugs and kisses from us!

Amanda said...

What a scary, freaky thing to happen. I am glad that he is OK and back to his normal tricks.
Sorry we missed seeing you this weekend, but Tegan needed some pampering! Have a great rest of your weekend!

Jennifer Walker said...

It's been a while since I checked in on Tegan. I was scared for all of you when I read this post, but glad to know that he was ok in the end.